The ZM is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns called “tangles.” Anyone who can write the word “ICSO” (the pen strokes that all tangles are comprised of) can create Zentangle art. The ZM’s simple 8-step structure creates the framework which allows for creativity. Some have referred to the ZM as “yoga with a pen” because there’s a ceremony and practice, but it’s also a mental vacation. It’s different than aimless doodling; people use the ZM to create beautiful images and increase their sense of well-being.
I first tried the Zentangle Method (ZM) in 2014, when a friend gifted me an introductory class while I was going through chemotherapy. The ZM helped me relax and refocus and, as an added bonus, produce satisfying art. In fact, I grew to enjoy the ZM so much, I decided to become a Certified Zentangle Teacher, aka “CZT,” so I could offer classes to others. It is so fun to share the gift of the Zentangle Method with others and see their joy, relaxation, and satisfaction in producing beautiful tiles of their own!
TAKE A CLASS!
I offer three different classes via Zoom. All classes require the four basic supplies discussed below (paper tiles, micron pen, pencil, and blender, and some of the Level 2 classes require additional items), and make sure to order your supplies so that they arrive before the class.
(1) Intro to the Zentangle Method — This is a 2 hour class. I’m taking a break from teaching this foundational class for a bit. I will likely resume teaching it later in 2022. However, I have a recording of it available if you wish to take it sooner. I am also available to teach it live for private groups or events upon request. Message me for more info. Cost $35*. Anyone who has already taken the intro course is welcome to take it again as a “refresher” for free.
In the intro course, you produce two tiles looking something like this:
(2) Zentangle Level 2 Classes (monthly) — This is a 90 min class where we will play with new techniques and tangles (different from those in the Intro Class). I offer these classes monthly, typically the 3rd Saturday morning of the month, with a couple exceptions due to holidays.
All are welcome to participate in the Level 2 classes. I call them “Level 2” not because they are necessarily more advanced, but because I don’t take the time to review the philosophy and history of the Zentangle Method and the 8 step Zentangle process, which I cover in detail in the Intro class. I do recommend that you have taken my Intro Class or have otherwise been exposed to the basics of the ZM because I think you will enjoy my Level 2 classes more with that foundation, but I do not require it.
Note that many of the Level 2 classes this year will incorporate color and require some additional supplies beyond the basic pen/pencil/paper/tortillion of the traditional Zentangle Method. I still aim to make these classes accessible and easy to create a satisfying project in the allotted 90 minutes, but please pay attention to the “supplies required” section of the sign up form:
January 15, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned project – Heartstrings (we will make tiles that incorporate hearts – in a beautiful, non-cheesy way, imho! – that you can choose to repurpose into custom handmade Valentine cards later if you like).
- February 19, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned project – Neurographic Inspired Tangles. This is an especially relaxing & colorful project.
- March 19, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned project – Torn paper “Peek-a-boo” Tangles.
- BONUS CLASS March 5, 10am-12pm California time, sign up form. Kaleidoscope Project.
- April 30, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned Project – Initials and Vines.
- May 21, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned project – May Flowers Bookmarks with hidden messages.
- June 18, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned project – Enchanted Lotus.
- July – summer break.
- August 20, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned Project – Fancy Trelina.
- September 17, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned Project – Tangled Hamsa.
- October 15, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned Project – Fall Leaves.
- November 19, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Annual Lung Cancer Research Fundraiser Class! Planned Project – Kaleidoscope.
- December 10, 10:30am-12pm California time, sign up form. Planned Project – Snowflake tangles.
(3) Custom & private classes — available for individuals, small groups, parties, fundraisers or team building and corporate events. Contact me to discuss at goldmanlisa[at]gmail.com.
Please sign up at least 48 hours in advance by messaging me at goldmanlisa[at]gmail.com. Once you’ve signed up, I will send you a Zoom link to attend the class. Payment can be made via PayPal (using my email address) or Venmo (@Lisa-Goldman-26). I may cancel any class if less than 3 people sign up.
* I would hate for cost to be a barrier to your enjoyment of the Zentangle Method. Thus, all classes are free for students, cancer patients in active treatment, those who are unemployed or underemployed, or anyone else who cannot participate because of cost. Please message me to sign-up for the class so I can track attendance & get you the Zoom link, and then just skip the payment portion (this will be on the honor system, no questions asked).
I hope to send out a newsletter every 1-2 months with reminders of class offerings, schedule updates, and a description of my class plans. If you would like to join this newsletter, please drop me a message at goldmanlisa[at]gmail.com.
For most classes, you will need only 4 things: paper, pen, pencil, & a blender. I’ve put together a list of links below. To keep things simple, I’ve included only Amazon links, but most of these items can also be purchased at any store that stocks art supplies.